The Global Alliance Against Industrial Aquaculture (GAAIA) is once again challenging Norwegian salmon farming giant Marine Harvest to come clean on disease risks. "Further to my letter of 4th June 2012 (read online here), could you please provide an update on disease risks at Marine Harvest including financial risks and liability associated with your imminent takeover of Cermaq?" wrote GAAIA in a letter to Marine Harvest CEO Alf-Helge Aarskog.
"Will Marine Harvest also be taking on Cermaq’s liability for the spread of infectious diseases and viruses in Chile and Canada for example? Have you informed Marine Harvest shareholders, investors and the Norwegian Stock Exchange of the increased disease risks?"
"Why has Marine Harvest not informed shareholders, investors and the Oslo Stock Exchange on the risks of ISA and HSMI in British Columbia?," continued the letter. "Why no public statements on ISA, HSMI, PD or IPN?"
The questions are piling up outside Marine Harvest's head office in Bergen, Norway. "In terms of liability, what financial losses has Marine Harvest accounted for?" asked the letter. "For example, following the ISA outbreak in Chile there were losses of $2 billion, a threatened lawsuit and a priceless loss of company reputation."
"Are you worried that a similar situation to Chile is now developing in British Columbia?" continued the letter. "Now that ISA (and other infectious diseases) have been reported in British Columbia, Canada, what financial fallout will Marine Harvest suffer? Chile’s losses of $2 billion could be a drop in the ocean compared to the financial consequences in British Columbia where wild salmon populations play such a significant part in the economy and culture."
"Marine Harvest’s management, board of directors, shareholders and investors should watch the documentary ‘Salmon Confidential’ and then head directly to your insurance provider and increase your company liability insurance" suggested the letter. "As Alexandra Morton asked in 2011: “Are the Norwegian fish farmers adequately insured to cover damages if we find out BC is an ISAV suspect area, no one told us and it spreads because you did nothing?"
Read more about disease risks at Cermaq via "Dear Cermaq, Come Clean on Disease Risks!"
Alexandra Morton posted on Facebook a few days ago (26 May 2013):
Alexandra Morton wrote once again to Marine Harvest in March 2013:
Read more via “Dear Marine Harvest – Don’t”
Sadly, Marine Harvest ignored the concerns and a lawsuit was filed earlier this month.
"In view of the financial risks – especially in relation to the financial fallout and exposure to the lawsuit – why has Marine Harvest not notified the Oslo Stock Exchange in line with the disclosure requirements pursuant to section 5-12 of the Norwegian Securities Trading Act?" asked the letter to Marine Harvest's CEO.
"It is hard to escape the conclusion that Marine Harvest stinks," concluded the letter. "Surely it’s time to ring in the changes and come clean on the extent of disease risks?"
Read more about Marine Harvest via:
- Lipstick on a Pig - WWF's Makeover At Marine Harvest
- WWF Greenwashes Marine Harvest!
- Marine Harmfest
Read more on Marine Harvest's mega-merger with Cermaq via:
- Round 9: Deadlock In Cermaq & Marine Harvest Mega-Merger
- Round 8: Cermaq Floored by Marine Harvest at AGM
- Round 7: Marine Harvest Piles on the Pressure!
- Round 6: Marine Harvest Vs Cermaq - The Gloves Are Off!
- Round 5: Final Battle of the Salmon Giants?
- Round 4: Cermaq Drops Guard on Marine Harvest Merger
- Round 3: Marine Harvest's Open Letter to Cermaq Shareholders
- Round 2: Marine Harvest's Counter-Punch for Cermaq?
- Clash of the Titans: Cermaq Vs Marine Harvest
- Mmm Mega-Marine Harvest: Super-Liced Salmon!
- Salmon Giant Eats Salmon Giant - Marine Harvest takeover of Cermaq!
Read more on the 'Salmon Farming Kills' lawsuit via:
- See You In Court! Tuesday (28 May) in the BC Court of Appeal!
- Censorship Like A Cancer Grows
- Norway Tightens Noose on Free Speech!
- "Cermaq - see you in court (again)!"
- "Cermaq Like A Cancer Grows - The Sound of Cermaq's SLAPP"
- "Norway’s Injunction Kills Free Speech!"
- "Gagging the Truth Becomes Mainstream"
- "Closing Norway's Noose on Freedom of Speech"
- "Cermaq's Clusterfuck"
Read all the documents and case files online here